Updated January 2015
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Harper Center, office 361, 5807 South Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637
Tel: (773) 834 5377, Fax: (773) 702 0458
- September 2008 – , Sigmund E. Edelstone Professor of Marketing, The University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Chicago, IL 60637
- July 2006 – August 2008, Professor of Marketing and Neubauer Family Faculty Fellow, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637
- November 2003 – July 2006, Associate Professor of Marketing, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637
- April 2000 – November 2003, Assistant Professor of Marketing, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637
- September 2013 - , Director, Kilts Center for Marketing, The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- April 2009 – , Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research, Industrial Organization
- 2008-2010, Affiliate, Yahoo! Microeconomics Research Group.
- 1995-2000, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, Doctor of Philosophy (Economics)
- 1995-1996, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, Master of Arts (Economics)
- 1991-1995, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, H.B.Sc. (Quantitative Methods in Economics)
- "Market Structure Across Stores: an application of a random coefficients model with store level data," with Pradeep Chintagunta and Vishal Singh, Advances in Econometrics: Econometric Models in Marketing, ed. Philip Hans Franses and Alan Montgomery (JAI Press: 2002).
- "Structural Applications of the Discrete Choice Model," (1st author) with Pradeep Chintagunta, Bart Bronnenberg, Ron Goettler, Amil Petrin, P.B. Seetheraman, K. Sudhir, Raphael Thomadsen and Ying Zhao, Marketing Letters, 13 (3), 207-220, 2002.
- "Balancing profitability and customer welfare in a supermarket chain," with Pradeep Chintagunta and Vishal Singh, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Inaugural Issue, 1 (1), 2003.
- "Competitive Price Discrimination Strategies in a Vertical Channel with Aggregate Data," with David Besanko and Sachin Gupta, Management Science, 49 (9), 2003
- Finalist, 2004 John D.C. Little Award
- Finalist, 2005 John D.C. Little Award
- Finalist, 2006 Frank M. Bass Outstanding Dissertation Award
- Finalist, 2014 Long-Term Impact Award
- Finalist, 2005 AMA TechSIG Best Article Award
- formerly titled "Targeted Pricing and the estimation of consumer choice models in the presence of unmeasured product characteristics"
- formerly titled "Discrete/Continuous Demand Estimation with aggregate data: formulation and empirical application"
- Winner, 2008 Paul E. Green Award of the American Marketing Association
- Finalist, 2012 William O’Dell Award of the American Marketing Association
- Also follow-up comment: "National Brands, Local Branding: Conclusions and Future Directions"
- formerly titled "A Behavioral Analysis of the Shanghai Real Estate Market"
- Finalist, 2008 John D.C. Little Award
- formerly titled "Market Structure and the Geographic Distribution of Brand Shares in CPG Industries"
- Finalist, 2013 William O’Dell Award of the American Marketing Association
- Finalist, 2010 John D.C. Little Award
- "Do Pharmacists Buy Bayer? Sophisticated Shoppers and the Brand Premium," with Bart Bronnenberg, Matt Gentzkow and Jesse Shapiro, resubmitted, Quarterly Journal of Economics.
- Self-Signaling and Pro-Social Behavior: a cause marketing mobile field experiment, with Xueming Luo and Zheng Fang
WORKS IN PROGRESS
- Private Label Demand in the Great Recession, with Guenter Hitsch and Peter Rossi
- Initial Conditions and Structural State Dependence, with Guenter Hitsch, Peter Rossi and Andrey Simonov
- Measuring subjective consumer beliefs and heterogeneous discount factors for durable goods adoption, with Günter Hitsch and Pranav Jindal
- In-Store Consumer search and demand, with Günter Hitsch and Xiliang Lin
- Testing the Becker-Murphy Theory of Advertising Using DVR Technology, with Bart Bronnenberg and Carl Mela
- Brand Capital and Marketing Strategy, with Bart Bronnenberg and Matt Gentzkow
“Self-Signaling and Pro-Social Behavior: a cause marketing mobile field experiment”
- Winter Marketing-Economics Summit, Jan 2015
- Washington University, Olin School of Business, January 2015
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business, January 2015
- Temple University, Fox School of Business, January 2015
- University of Chicago (Economics), November 2014
- Princeton, November 2014
- University of Wisonsin (economics), November 2014
- University of Chicago, Booth School of Business, October 2014
- University of Houston, October 2014
- Universiteit van Tilburg, September 2014
- HEC Paris, August 2014
- Colloquium on Big Data and Mobile Analytics, Temple University, November 2013
"Persistence in Market Structure and Brand Preferences for CPG"
- ICT, University of Porto, March 2014
"Do Pharmacists Buy Bayer? Sophisticated Shoppers and the Brand Premium"
- Marketing Insights at Chicago Booth, May 2014
- Winter Marketing-Economics Summit, Jan 2014
- Simon School of Business, University of Rochester, October 2013
- Fudan University, September 2013
- SITE, July 2013.
- MIT (economics), April 2013.
- The University of British Columbia, Sauder School of Busines, March 2013
- University of Colorado Boulder, Leeds School of Business, February 2013
- University of Zurich, January 2013
- Stern School, NYU, September 2012
- Cheung Kong University, June 2012
- Consumer Insights Conference, Yale University, May 2012
- Santa Clara University, January 2012
- University of Urbana-Champaign (economics), October 2011
- The Kelley School of Business, Indianan University, September 2011
- The 4th Workshop on the Economics of Advertising and Marketing (discussant Alexander Stepanov), Moscow, June 2011
"The Evolution of Brand Preferences: Evidence from Consumer Migration"
- Formerly Titled "Migration and the Persistence of Consumer Brand Preferences"
- University of Western Ontario (economics), October 2010
- Boston College, September 2010
- NBER, summer I.O. meetings (discussant Fiona Scott Morton), July 2010
- Marketing Camp, UCLA, May 2010
- Consumer Insights Conference, Yale University, May 2010
- MI9 Conference, University of Tel Aviv, December 2009
- Marketing Camp, HKUST, December 2009
- The 2nd Workshop on the Economics of Advertising and Marketing (discussant Sara Biancini), Paris, June 2009
"Estimating Durable Goods Adoption Decisions From Stated Preference Data"
- UC Davis, March 2011
- The 2011 UTD Frank Bass Forms Conference, February 2011
- London Business School, January 2011
- The 2010 Choice Symposium (hosted by University of Miami), May 2010
- Marketing Dynamics Conference, NYU, August 2009
"Dynamic Decision Problems in Marketing"
- Marketing Dynamics Conference, University of Waikato, January 2009
"Improving the Numerical Performance of Discrete Choice Random Coefficients Demand Estimation,"
- NBER, winter I.O. meetings (discussant Steve Berry), February 2009
- Federal Trade Commission, November 2008
- Northwestern University (economics), October 2008
- University of Rochester, October 2008
"Tipping and Concentration in Markets with Indirect Network Effects"
- Formerly Titled "Dynamic Standards Competition and Tipping: the case of 32/64 bit video game consoles"
- CRA International, July 2008
- University of Connecticut (Food Marketing), April 2008
- Yale University (economics), April 2008
- NBER, winter I.O. meetings (discussant Dan Ackerberg), February 2008
- Wharton, February 2008
- Fuqua School, Duke University, January 2008
- Universiteit van Tilberg, January 2008
- The 2007 Choice Symposium (hosted by Wharton), June 2007
"Do Switching Costs Make Markets Less Competitive?"
- Yahoo! Inc., October 2007
- The Canadian Competition Bureau, September 2007
- 2007 UBC Summer Conference on Industrial Organization, July 2007
- University of British Columbia, February 2007
- Universiteit van Tilburg, January 2007
- Inflation Research Center (discussant Alex Wolman), Chicago Fed, December 2006
- Stern School, NYU, December 2006
- HEC Montreal, December 2006
- University of Minnesota (economics), September 2006
- NBER, summer I.O. meetings (discussant Alan Sorensen), July 2006
- Erasmus University Rotterdam, June 2006
- Yale SOM, April 2006
"Category Pricing with State Dependent Utility"
- Formerly titled "State Dependence in Demand and Long-Run Pricing"
- Marketing Science, Pittsburgh, June 2006
- Kellogg Marketing Camp, Northwestern University, September 2005
"Endogenous Sunk Costs and the Geographic Distribution of Brand Shares in CPG Industries"
- Strategic and Tactical Decision Making in Supermarket Retailing, SUNY Buffalo, August 2005
- Summer Institute for Competitive Strategy (discussant Avi Goldfarb), Berkeley, June 2005
- CRES I.O. conference (discussant Emek Baskar), Olin School, June 2005
- Northwestern/Chicago I.O. and Marketing Conference, June 2005
- Duke (economics), April 2005
- Harvard/MIT (economics), February 2005
- NBER, winter I.O. meetings (discussant Jonathan Levin), February 2005
- Winter Marketing Camp at Leuven, December 2004
- Johnson School, Cornell University, December 2004
"An Empirical Model of Advertising Dynamics"
- University of Arizona (economics), November 2004
- Federal Trade Commission, October 2004
- Stern School, NYU, June 2004
- London Business School, May 2004
- Haas School, UC Berkeley, April 2004
- Winter Marketing Camp at Leuven, December 2003
- Columbia GSB, Columbia University, November 2003
- Joint workshop – University of Waterloo, Wilfried Laurier University and CIGI, October 2003
- Department of Justice, October 2003
"Estimating an SKU-level Brand Choice Model Combining Household Panel Data and Store Data"
- Marketing Science, University of Maryland, June 2003.
"Targeted Pricing and the estimation of consumer choice models in the presence of unmeasured product characteristics"
- Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, April 2003
- Columbia GSB (economics), Columbia University, April 2003
- GSIA, Carnegie Mellon University, April 2003
- Insead, December 2002
- Winter Marketing Camp at Leuven, December 2002
- Wharton, December 2002
- University of Chicago GSB, October 2002
- INFORMS conference on pricing, Cornell, September 2002
- Universidade Nova de Lisboa (economics), June 2002
- Anderson School, UCLA, April 2002
- Sloan School, MIT, September 2001
- Marketing Science, Wiesbaden, July 2001
- The 2001 Choice Symposium (hosted by UC Berkeley), Monterey CA, June 2001
"Competitive Price Discrimination Strategies in a Vertical Channel with Aggregate Data"
- Stanford GSB, April 2002
- INFORMS, San Antonio, November 2000
- Marketing Science, UCLA, June 2000
"Dynamic Brand Competition Across Markets: an empirical analysis"
- Marketing Science, Wiesbaden, July 2001
- MSI Conference on Competitive Response, May 2001
"Product Differentiation and Mergers in the Carbonated Soft Drink Industry"
- University of Chicago GSB (economics), January 2001
- Econometric Society Meetings, University of Washington, Seattle, August 2000
- Northwestern University (economics), October 1999
"Multiple Discreteness and Product Differentiation: Strategy and Demand for Carbonated Soft Drinks"
- Johnson School, Cornell University, April 2001
- Kellogg GSM, Northwestern University, December 1999
- Haas School, UC Berkeley, November 1999
- University of Chicago GSB, November 1999
- Simon School, University of Rochester, November 1999
- Olin School, Washington University, October 1999
- Yale SOM, October 1999
- Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, October 1999
PAID SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Global Leadership Series, Chicago Booth, Jakarta, June 2014
- National University of Singapore, June 2014
- McDonalds, April 2014, July 2014
- Colloquium on Big Data and Mobile Analytics, November 2013
- Phoenix Products Company, Inc., November 2012
- Cheung Kong University, Trends in Marketing, June 2012
- CCIM Institute, September 2011
- ThermoFischer, September 2011
- Marketing Leadership Forum at Baxter, April 2011
- Charles River Annual Sales Meeting, January 2009
- American Bar Association, January 2009
- The Marketing Leadership Council, December 2008
- Kraft Brand Management Forum, July 2008
- NAVTEQ Global Sales and Marketing Meeting, January 2007
- American Bar Association
- Australian Government Solicitors
- Charles River Associates
- CCIM Institute
- The European Commission (design of software for merger analysis and pricing)
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Pattishal McAuliffe
- The Roundtable Group
- The Scotts Company
- Winthrop and Weinstine
- Yahoo! Research
- CEO Middle Market Forum
- CIO Forum
- Directors' Consortium
- General Management Program: Marketing Analytics, Kuwait
- Strategic Marketing Management, Chicago Booth School of Business
- RSM McGladrey
- Tomra Systems
- UOP LLP (A Honeywell Company)
- Zimmer, Inc.
- Marketing Strategies for High Technology and the Internet (BUS 37302)
- Pricing Strategies (BUS 37202, BUS 37801 – Executive MBA, SMM – non-degree)
- Advanced Quantitative Marketing (BUS 37904)
- Big Data and Marketing Analytics (executive)
- Category Management (executive)
- Journal of Marketing Research
- Marketing Science
- Management Science
- Quantitative Marketing and Economics
Member, Editorial Board
- Production and Operations Management, 2003-2007
- Recherche et Applications en Marketing (RAM), 2004-2008
Ad hoc Reviewer:
The American Economic Review, Econometrica, The Economic Journal, International Journal of the Economics of Business, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of Law, Economics and Organizations, Journal of Political Economy, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, NBER, NSF, The Rand Journal of Economics, The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
- 2008, Paul E. Green from the American Marketing Association
- Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Evening and Weekend MBA Programs, University of Chicago GSB, 2005
Appointments and Grants
- MSI Research Grant #4-1765, 2012
- Grant from the IGM, University of Chicago, 2011
- MSI Research Grant #4-1667, 2010
- Robert King Steel Faculty Fellow, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012
- Beatrice Foods, Co. Scholar, 2009-2010
- Grant from the IGM, University of Chicago, 2009
- Yahoo! Faculty Research Grant, 2008
- MSI Research Grant #4-1525, 2008
- Grant from the IGM, University of Chicago, 2007
- MSI Research Grant #4-1450, 2007
- Grant from the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship, 2007
- ACG Research Fellow, 2006-2007
- Beatrice Foods, Co. Scholar, 2005-2006.
- MSI Research Grant # 4-1301, 2005
- True North Communications, Inc. Scholar, 2003-2004.
- Beatrice Foods, Co. Scholar, 2001-2002.
- Comscore Networks
- Global Center for Big Data in Mobile Analytics
- INFORMS Society for Marketing Science (ISMS)
Doctoral Dissertation Committees
- Indranil Goswani (expected 2016)
- Avigail Kifer (expected 2015)
- Dan Nguyen (expected 2015)
- Dan Zou (expected 2015)
- Pranav Jindal, 2012 (Penn State)
- Navdeep Sahni, 2012 (Stanford)
- Elisabeth Honka, 2010 (UT Dallas)
- Renna Jiang, 2009 (UC Davis)
- Mitsukuni Nishida, 2009 (National University of Singapore)
- Maria Ana Vitorino, 2008 (Wharton)
- Felipe Diniz, 2008 (McKinsey)
- Hongju Liu, 2007 (University of Connecticut)
- Junhong Chu, 2006 (Business School , National University of Singapore)
- Minhua Wan, 2006 (UT Dallas)
- Harikesh Nair, 2005 (GSB, Stanford University)
- Khim Yong Goh, 2005 (Singapore National University)
- Guillermo Israilevich, 2003 (Bates White, LLC)
- Inseong Song, 2002 (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology)
- Vishal Singh, 2002 (Carnegie Mellon GSIA)